The Roost! Forum Index
The Roost! Forum Index
The Roost! Forum Index
1968 First Semi Final

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick
Grog Squad Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: 1968 First Semi Final Reply with quote

On September 7th 1968 North (third) faced off against West (Fourth) in the First Semi Final of that year. Whilst North were favourites and 2 games clear of West at the end of the minor round West had finished the season strongly with three wins in a row including an impressive victory over Port at Richmond. They had also beaten Glenelg in round 19 at Glenelg replacing them in the top four.
There may have been some "nerves" amongst North after going out in straight sets in 1967. As it turned out there was no need to worry and North scored a comfortable 34 point victory.
Robert Day of West Adelaide drew first blood (pardon the pun) for the game with a behind, but shortly after John "Sticks" Phillips scored a major for North and they were never headed again in the match. At Half Time North lead by 28 points (6-13 to 3-3) with only North's inaccurate kicking making the result totally beyond doubt. West however staged a comeback after half time and got to within 9 points after more inaccurate kicking by North. A steading goal to Kym Lehmann saw North take a 15 point lead into "Lemons", and they ran away with the game with a four goal to one last quarter.
It was Geoff Motley's first (and only) finals victory as a North coach and topped off a great week for North during which Barrie Robran had won his first Magarey Medal.

Don Lindner won the toss and kicked to the Cathedral End. The first goal for the match was scored by "Sticks" Phillips who played well all day to be close to best on ground.

The first bounce saw Peter Anderson clash heavily with Murray Weideman. He did the same thing seconds later at a boundary throw-in and again a few minutes afterwards. "The Weed" came off secons best on all occassions Anderson made sure he was not going to be flattened the way he was at Prospect Oval and decided the best way was to go on the offensive from the start.

Peter Anderson marks strongly over (a very young) Ian Verrier.

Here's the mark which could well have been the one to finally seal West Adelaide's fate in the First Semi Final. North Half Forward (Bob)Koehne held the ball safely after Murray Weideman had called for a short pass from Trevor Hughes when he kicked in after a behind had been scored by the Roosters. Koehne dived in to intercept and sent the ball back through the tall uprights.

Kym Lehmann boots the ball downfield whilst Juan Hooper (west) and Terry Von Bertouch watch.

Line Up:

FF: Dennis Sacshe; Ian Anstey; Kym Lehmann
HF: Alan Byers; Don Lindner (c); Bob Koehne*
C: Kelly Stringer; Barrie Robran; John Robinson
HB: Michael Burns; Jamie Coppins; Bohdan Jaworskyj
FB: Geoff Paull; Kevin Barr; John Phillips
1st Ruck: Peter Anderson; Bob Hammond(vc); Terry Von Bertouch
2nd Ruck: Sachse; Phillips; Lehmann
Reserves: Rob Geisler; Maurie Francou

(* David Cearns was ruled unfit on the morning of the game with 'flu. His place was taken by Bob Koehne who had been named as a reserve, and Maurie Francou came into the 20 on the bench.)

1 - Don Lindner (C)
2 - Terry Von Bertouch
3 - Peter Anderson
6 - Geoff Paull
7 - John Phillips
8 - Robert Geisler (20th)
10- Barrie Robran
11- Kym Lehmann
12- Kelly Stringer
13- Alan Byers
16- John Robinson
17- Kevin Barr
18- Jamie Coppins
19- Michael Burns
21- Maurie Francou (19th)
24- Robert Koehne
26- Ian Anstey
27- Bohdan Jaworskyj
29- Robert Hammond (V-C)
30- Dennis Sachse

North Adelaide 3-7 6-13 7-16 11-19 (85)
West Adelaide 1-1 3-3 6-7 7-9 (51)

BEST (NA) Phillips, Anderson, Von Bertouch, Robinson, Lindner, Jaworskyj,
BEST (WA) Russian, Weideman, Jonas, Bray, Fraser, Verrier,
GOALS (NA) D.Sacshe 3.6; Von Bertouch 3.0; Koehne 2.0; Phillips 1.3; Lehmann 1.1; Robinson 1.0; Byers 0.4; Hammond 0.3; Anderson 0.1; Rushed 0.1;
GOALS(WA) Jonas 2.2; Haupt 2.0; Sims 1.2; Verrier, Hooper 1.0(ea); Pannenburg 0.2; Weidemann, Fraser, Day 0.1 (ea)
Crowd 31,131 Umpire Max O'Connell

John Phillips was North's top possession winner with 26 (20 Kicks; 6 Handballs) he also took 9 marks. He was followed by Terry Von Bertouch on 21 possessions (all kicks) and John Robinson (16 Kicks 1 Handballs) and Don Lindner (12 kicks 5 Handballs) on 17 possessions each.

NB:(Best Players are according to "The Advertiser". "Footy Week" didn't name best players as such.)
(Quotes in italics are directly from Footy Week.)
Wessie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, Nick

Unbelivable great crowd.

Funny thing both team twist shorts. West should use black and North to white. Everytime I see North's black shorts make me nervous Twisted Evil Laughing
Chooktracker

Location: South Goolwa following the Strathalbyn Roosters now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful memories Nick. I have the same budget at home and I remember the game clearly as a 14 yo.

What is strange about this game is that North's first choice shorts were white but we wore black and Westies first choice were black and they wore white...........very strange indeed.
Sorry Wessie for mentioning this shorts issue I have only just read it.

I also remember Peter Anderson wearing no 32 for most of the year and changing to no 3 for the last few games......although my time line might be a bit out here .....but something like that. He also played a great game.........one of my favourite players while at North..........turned into scumbag when he went to the Bays.

Great stuff..........love your work.

CT

1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1989 -1991 - 2007 - 2013...........seen them all for only 4 premierships.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......
Wistow.....wear the fox hat
Chooktracker........NAFC Cheer Squad 1966-67
Nick
Grog Squad Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Wessie and CT. The shorts thing is weird. I've got a feeling being a final it may have been decided by a coin toss. Not sure on that someone will know (robranisgod I'm looking at you). I know for years with the whole black shorts away and white at home theory we often wore black shorts against West and Torrens when we played at Richmond and Thebarton.
As a kid I loved Ando as well CT. I was at the Torrens end of the Adelaide Oval when he and Eric Freeman had "words" in the 2nd semi in 1971. I was heartbroken (as a 9 y.o) when he went to Glenelg.
robranisgod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Cheers Wessie and CT. The shorts thing is weird. I've got a feeling being a final it may have been decided by a coin toss. Not sure on that someone will know (robranisgod I'm looking at you). I know for years with the whole black shorts away and white at home theory we often wore black shorts against West and Torrens when we played at Richmond and Thebarton.
As a kid I loved Ando as well CT. I was at the Torrens end of the Adelaide Oval when he and Eric Freeman had "words" in the 2nd semi in 1971. I was heartbroken (as a 9 y.o) when he went to Glenelg.

Westies wore white shorts at home until the early 1970s. Thus when we played them in finals it was in fact a coin toss which decided shorts colour. It always seemed ridiculous given that West colours were red and black.

I have a couple of vivid memories of that final. Fairly late in the last quarter we only led by 10 points when David Jonas (Peter's much elder brother) had a long set shot for goal which just missed. We went forward from the kickout and kicked a point.Then as already mentioned Koehne intercepted Hughes' short pass to Weidemann and goaled. We then kicked another three goals to seal the game. Dennis Sachse may have got a couple of them.

Barrie Robran hurt his ankle during the game and had to come off the field in the last quarter. Although he played in the prelim he wasn't fit and that may have cost us a Grand Final spot.
McAlmanac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robranisgod wrote:
David Jonas (Peter's much elder brother)

Thanks for that nugget. Didn't know that one.

Ironic that ex-Rooster Trevor Hughes was the one whose pass was intercepted at the business end.
daveswar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my favourite North jumper.
johntheclaret

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveswar wrote:
Still my favourite North jumper.
blimey Dave, where've you bin. 11 years to reply Laughing
Wessie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 years Shocked
daveswar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One doesn't need to rush these things John. Seems like not a lot of positive history making has happened in those 11years except for a faint glimmer from the Josh Francou years. Sad that I had to dig so far back to comment
daveswar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One doesn't need to rush these things John. Seems like not a lot of positive history making has happened in those 11years except for a faint glimmer from the Josh Francou years. Sad that I had to dig so far back to comment
MTBK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveswar - agree about the jumper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Roost! Forum Index -> NAFC History Forum All times are GMT + 10.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: