The Roost! Forum Index
The Roost! Forum Index
The Roost! Forum Index
Strange selections
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rufus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Strange selections Reply with quote

Am I the only one who is bewildered by the Australian Cricket selectors/selections of late? I just checked the 1st class averages for Marsh & Doolan this season. Both are averaging in the low thirties (and they are off to South Africa.) They don't compare with Phil Hughes, averaging 64 and Callum Ferguson averaging 51.66. (Marcus North is averaging around 70, but he's not playing for the Redbacks, so I don't care about him as much!) It all just seems that the selectors have their favourite players, who get a gig because of reasons other than their current form!
Chooktracker

Location: South Goolwa following the Strathalbyn Roosters now

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one am glad he is not going, so he can perhaps help SA win the Sheffield Shield.

He has been tried and is a proven failure at Test level, so lets try someone new.
A player that should have been a Test player years ago is M Klinger, however he is not from NSW.

Hughes, however is, but now not playing for the right State for the easy transition.

1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1989 -1991 - 2007 - 2013...........seen them all for only 4 premierships.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.......
Wistow.....wear the fox hat
Chooktracker........NAFC Cheer Squad 1966-67
lonewolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Hughes has had too many chances and shouldnt be going. Dont rate Marsh either. too slow like his old man. but we have a history of picking dud players in our test team while better players miss out. Wellham, Ritchie, Dyer.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and it took years for blokes like Lehmann and Hayden to get into the side even after making millions of runs.
It was worse for poor old Jamie Siddons, who couldn't get in at all while averaging about 50 for years.
robranisgod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chooktracker wrote:
I for one am glad he is not going, so he can perhaps help SA win the Sheffield Shield.

He has been tried and is a proven failure at Test level, so lets try someone new.
A player that should have been a Test player years ago is M Klinger, however he is not from NSW.

Hughes, however is, but now not playing for the right State for the easy transition.

I think that the NSW transition is a bit of a myth. I cannot think of too many NSW players who haven't been worthy of selection. Dyer and perhaps Whellam are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

In my time I have always thought that the West have had a saloon passage to the test team. Sure they have provided champs like Lillee, Alderman, Gilchrist (via NSW) and Hughes but on the other hand duds like Wally Edwards, Inverarity, Valetta in particular, Graeme Wood, Zoehrer, Tom Hogan, Jo Angel, Chris Matthews, Beer and now Shaun Marsh are players very lucky to have worn the baggy green cap. And I am sure that I have forgotten a few players. Of that list Graeme Wood is the only one I think should have been a test cricketer but he certainly played about 4 times as many tests as he should have.
Rufus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moises Henriques touring South Africa, you've got to be kidding. Does not deserve his spot.
MTBK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the reasons playets didn't play for Australia. A vic opening bowlet of the 50's because he was a garbo. Siddons because a former vic opening bat would never pick him as a left victoria. Boof, well he could never claim to be a lean meam fielding machine, what has ability got to do with it? Nothing if a thinner bat is doing satisfactory (ie from wa).
lonewolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading on Hookesy's book that Greg Chappell told him he wasnt getting picked for Australia coz while he was racking up the runs, it was more about the way he was getting them. That and he had a habit of speaking his mind. I know for a fact Dean Jones was told the same, he wasnt picked for the national side coz he shot his mouth off. Even tho the guy could play.
Rufus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosgrove has been dropped from the redbacks! He has just hit form and the side's batting was excellent last game.
The one who is not up to first class standard & should be dropped is Botha. He even said that if a spinner was to come into the side (Zampa) that he would stand aside.
Time to honour his word!
He adds nothing to our team & I am counting down the days until his contract is finished. If he wasn't captain he wouldn't be in the team.
Chooktracker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

1971 - 1972 - 1973 - 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1989 -1991 - 2007 - 2013...........seen them all for only 4 premierships.

Last edited by Chooktracker on Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
locky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus wrote:
Cosgrove has been dropped from the redbacks! He has just hit form and the side's batting was excellent last game.
The one who is not up to first class standard & should be dropped is Botha. He even said that if a spinner was to come into the side (Zampa) that he would stand aside.
Time to honour his word!
He adds nothing to our team & I am counting down the days until his contract is finished. If he wasn't captain he wouldn't be in the team.

No argument here also totally agree, they bat Botha at 6, he is not a number 6,7 or 8, plus he chucks Rolling Eyes
Chooktracker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have waited one more day before commenting about Botha, given that he grabbed 5 wickets yesterday.

Some players have timing and in this case it was spot on.
Still don't think he adds a lot to the SA team , but hopefully I am wrong for the sake of the Redbacks success.

He's a bit like Kenny McGregor, I don't have a high opinion of him but I am willing to give him a chance and see how we go at the end of next season.
The end of season two is where we need to judge.

lonewolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me how Glenn Maxwell is getting a game for Australia? Seriously the guy is one of the worst players I've seen since Shaun Tait. Big Show my arse. he hits 2 balls over the fence then falls over every other time he plays a shot. The guy's a dud. leave him in the Big Bash and leave the real stuff to guys who can actually play
THE MESSENGER BOY
Shan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonewolf wrote:
Can someone tell me how Glenn Maxwell is getting a game for Australia? Seriously the guy is one of the worst players I've seen since Shaun Tait. Big Show my arse. he hits 2 balls over the fence then falls over every other time he plays a shot. The guy's a dud. leave him in the Big Bash and leave the real stuff to guys who can actually play

Your right. The bloke is a first class wanker
Mic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE MESSENGER BOY wrote:
lonewolf wrote:

Your right. The bloke is a first class wanker

He actually looked like he was trying to get himself out last night; it took him a few deliveries but he got there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Roost! Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 10.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: