The Roost! Forum Index
The Roost! Forum Index
The Roost! Forum Index
Day night test match

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rufus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Day night test match Reply with quote

I went to the Adelaide test match over the last three days. I can't believe all of the positive publicity it is receiving.

I go to the test here every year, to see the best from each team battle it out. The day night experiment was very disappointing as:
- In the 1st Australian innings when we were batting in the DARK, David Warner got out because he couldn't see the ball.
- In the Kiwi second innings both Williamson (one of the best batsmen in the world) and Ross Taylor (in career best form) both got out because they couldn't see the ball.
- Steve Smith, who is normally a good slip fieldsman dropped two catches (in the DARK) and complained after the second one that he couldn't see the ball.

The problem with the game was that the best were not able to be at their best because of inadequate lighting and problems with everyone (except the TV audience) not being able to see the ball. If Glen McGrath was bowling in those conditions, when he was in his prime, he would have been unplayable. Mitchell Johnson would have been lethal!

I am amazed that we had an experiment of playing cricket in the dark, on the anniversary of the loss of Phil Hughes.
Wessie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny they can't see the ball...AO shit Laughing
robranisgod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Day night test match Reply with quote

Rufus wrote:
I went to the Adelaide test match over the last three days. I can't believe all of the positive publicity it is receiving.

I go to the test here every year, to see the best from each team battle it out. The day night experiment was very disappointing as:
- In the 1st Australian innings when we were batting in the DARK, David Warner got out because he couldn't see the ball.
- In the Kiwi second innings both Williamson (one of the best batsmen in the world) and Ross Taylor (in career best form) both got out because they couldn't see the ball.
- Steve Smith, who is normally a good slip fieldsman dropped two catches (in the DARK) and complained after the second one that he couldn't see the ball.

The problem with the game was that the best were not able to be at their best because of inadequate lighting and problems with everyone (except the TV audience) not being able to see the ball. If Glen McGrath was bowling in those conditions, when he was in his prime, he would have been unplayable. Mitchell Johnson would have been lethal!

I am amazed that we had an experiment of playing cricket in the dark, on the anniversary of the loss of Phil Hughes.

My thoughts exactly. Warner and Ross Taylor in particular seemed to have great difficulty picking up the ball and you are right about Smith dropping the chances.

Incredibly the player who seemed to handle the conditions best was Shaun Marsh in the second innings, a player I have very little time for. Perhaps he does have the best eye, but I still doubt his temperament.
Rufus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to note that Dave Warner is not a fan of Day/Night test cricket.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2015/12/08/05/13/warner-not-a-fan-of-pink-ball-revolution

He was one of the players clearly disadvantaged by facing the new ball at night. His comments and those of Ross Taylor in a radio interview, back up the thought that playing test cricket under lights is about money (greed) and not about improving the game!
Rufus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Siddle isn't a big fan of day night tests either!

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2015/12/24/11/01/day-night-tests-need-tweaking-siddle
johntheclaret

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F%#k me. You lot are that bad I'd have thought you'd be happy to play in the dark Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Roost! Forum Index -> General Chat Forum All times are GMT + 10.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: